Wednesday 24 February 2016

You can fail but you are not a failure

I wasn't sure what to give the title of this post
Embrace Failure
To fail is to try
Benefits of failure
but in the end I chose
You can fail but you are not a failure
Failure is feature of all of our lives, peoples reaction to failure can shape their lives and the path they choose to take. Some people choose paths which minimize their experience with failure and others embrace it.
The fear of failure is so powerful that it can stop people trying but people should stop being afraid of failing and remember
Failing = Feedback
Every time you fail you are getting closer to succeeding. You can pick yourself up, analyse what went wrong, learn the lessons in failure and try again avoiding your previous mistakes.
repeat the above until you succeed
I know you are not going to take my word for it, so I have been looking at some inspirational quotes on failure, which I feature below.

Failing does not make you a failure

I watched an inspirational TED talk by Stanley McChrystal called Listen, Learn.... then lead. Four start General Stanley McChrystal talks about what he has learned about leadership from his life in the army.
He had this amazing quote
Leaders can let you fail but not let you be a failure

Not everyone fails because not everyone tries

for some people the fear of failure is so strong they don't even try to do something a bit risky. The quote from Michael Jordan sums this up nicely
I can accept failure, everyone fails at something. But I can't accept not trying.

Everyone Fails

It's impossible not to fail at something in life, there will be things you are doing for the first time, things you are not good at, times you just get things wrong or under estimated the task in hand.
All the people who are considered successful will have had a few stumbles on the way to success and it's how they you react to failing that's important. You have to use as motivation to get better, motivation not to make the same mistake.
This quote from Edison is beautiful
Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up.
I also like this quote from Zig Ziglar (what a fantastic name by the way)
Remember that failure is an event, not a person -Zig Ziglar
It's a great quote because failing is just a small moment in time, don't worry about it because soon no one will remember it later down the line.

Don't call it failing, call it learning

Failing, Failure are strong words and can have an emotional meaning with them. I look at failing, making mistakes as learning and refer to them as such.
Thomas Edison's quote neatly sums up this point, he famously created 10000 light bulbs which didn't work until he finally cracked it.
“I have not failed. I’ve just found 10,000 ways that won’t work.” -Thomas Edison
Failure is a learning experience, bang on
Like success, failure is many things to many people. With Positive Mental Attitude, failure is a learning experience, a rung on the ladder, a plateau at which to get your thoughts in order and prepare to try again. - W. Clement Stone

TRY TRY and TRY AGAIN - Failing is a perspective

failing is a perspective, as shown by this great quote from Michael Jordon
“I’ve missed more than 9000 shots in my career. I’ve lost almost 300 games. Twenty-six times I’ve been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. I’ve failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed.” - Michael Jordan
It's an opportunity
Failure is only the opportunity to begin again, only this time more wisely. - Henry Ford

Failure is one of the many steps on the road to success

It's unlikely you are going to succeed first time because you have to improve
“I’ve come to believe that all my past failure and frustrations were actually laying the foundation for the understandings that have created the new level of living I now enjoy.” - Tony Robbins
These two quotes make this point well
“Develop success from failures. Discouragement and failure are two of the surest stepping stones to success.” - Dale Carnegie
“Failure is success if we learn from it.” -Malcolm Forbes
Failures are remembered easier than successes
Some of the best lessons I have learnt have been from my failures. For some reason the failures stick out in memory and I think I am more likely not commit the same mistake as I am than doing the thing the thing that lead to a success
I remember once riding my bike and going round the corner with my pedal facing the floor, the pedal hit the floor, I fell off. I never fell off my bike again because of my pedal (but did for lots of other reasons).

Finally a quote from Steve Jobs
Remembering that I'll be dead soon is the most important tool I've ever encountered to help me make the big choices in life. Because almost everything - all external expectations, all pride, all fear of embarrassment or failure - these things just fall away in the face of death, leaving only what is truly important.
picture failure by cambodia4kidsorg

1 comment:

  1. If success is not permanent, so is the failure. I thought success and failure both are events of our lives, which gave good or bad experience and plays a vital role in shaping our lives.

    ReplyDelete